Portraits of the Past, funded by a Heritage Lottery grant, was a project exploring Gawthorpe Hall, much loved by the Padiham and Burnley community that surrounds it. The aim of the project was to explore the Hall’s place in community life through oral history, photography and the creative arts, and create a lasting legacy of that work. To that end, the online image archive is accompanied by oral histories in the NW Sound Archive and a publication giving a taste of each. Read all about the activities and the legacy on our main website.
This site was specifically to create the online archive by encouraging people to share photographs of Gawthorpe. We were especially interested in the role Gawthorpe plays in the lives of local people today, so images of family picnics and dog walking in the grounds were as welcome as black and white pictures of the past. You can see from the large Gallery of images that we received some wonderful contributions.
The project ran from summer 2013 to spring 2014 and although it is officially finished you can still add your images to the archive by selecting Contribute at the top of the page. We hope to keep this page available for the foreseeable future.
To contribute to the Portraits of the Past gallery you will need a Flickr account.
If you already have a Flickr account: Sign in to Flickr and then return to this site. Click on the contribute button below and you will be taken to the Portraits of the Past Group on Flickr. Click on the + Join Group button, join the Group and then you can click on the + Add Photos button. You will be able to select up to 6 images at a time from your Photostream to add to the Group. Once selected click the ADD TO GROUP button and your photos will automatically appear in the Portraits of the Past Gallery. (You may have to Refresh the page to see them). Don’t forget to add a title and description to your photograph which says when it was taken and why it’s important to you.
If you do not have a Flickr account but would like to contribute: Please click here to be taken to the Flickr home page were you can click the sign up button to create an account (you can use an existing Facebook or Google account). Once you have created a Flickr account follow the instructions above.
2. DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES You understand and agree that MPA may include certain communications from MPA, such as service announcements, administrative messages and that these communications are considered part of the membership of this site. You understand and agree that MPA assumes no responsibility for the deletion or failure to store any user images.
3. MEMBER CONDUCT You understand that all information, data, text, photographs, messages, tags, or other materials (“Content”), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. This means that you and not MPA are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload or post. MPA does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. MPA will periodically monitor PoP however by using the site it is possible that you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will MPA be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, transmitted or otherwise made available via this site. You agree to not use this site to: a. upload, post, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable; b. harm minors in any way; c. impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an MPA official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; d. upload, post, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships; or that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights (“Rights”) of any party; e. upload, post, transmit, or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional materials; f. “stalk” or otherwise harass another. You acknowledge that MPA may or may not pre-screen Content, but that MPA shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any Content. Without limiting the foregoing, MPA shall have the right to remove any Content that violates the ToU or is otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content.
4. CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR INCLUSION ON PoP. MPA does not claim ownership of Content you submit. However, with respect to Content you submit you grant MPA the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable: a. With respect to Content you submit, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content solely for the purposes of promoting the work of MPA group and the group to which such Content was submitted.
5. INDEMNITY You agree to indemnify and hold MPA and its partners, funders and employees harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you submit, post, transmit, modify or otherwise make available through PoP, your use of PoP, your connection to MPA, your violation of the ToU, or your violation of any rights of another.
6. NO COMMERCIAL REUSE You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion or use of, or access to PoP (including Content).